Monday, April 12, 2010

Essay Writing Reflection

This year, we read two books, ‘Alchemist’ and ‘Julius Caesar’. Base on these two books, we wrote essay about examine the characterization of a main character and support the ideas with quotations from the story.

Strong ideas and contents help to support my reasoning and show my knowledge and understanding of the story. For Alchemist essay, I need greater knowledge of topic because there was a gap apparent and it was too general. In addition, I didn’t provide enough and strong evidence to support my topic sentences to convince the audiences. ‘After a while, he realized that he could have same freedom as the wind and there was nothing to hold back him except himself.’ As you can see in this sentence, it dose not explain how did he co

me to the realization. Therefore, readers might confuse with my thoughts or the flow of the story. However, in Julius Caesar essay, I showed the deep understanding of the story by giving more specific topic sentence and clear explanation of the quote, which relate to the main idea and include interesting and relevant details than the past essay.

My essay organization was fairly good for both essays. “Set honour in one eye, and death i’th other, and I will look on both indifferently; for let the gods so speed me as I love the name of honour more than I fear death.” (Julius Caesar, Act one Scene2) in order to grab my reader’s attention and have a clear topic/thesis statement, I begin my essay with an interesting hook by using quote form the actual text. My body paragraphs were well organized with clear topic sentences and interesting quotation which provide a strong evidence. However, I’m keep repeating what I mention before or spent too much time to explain what reader already knows. Therefore I need to reduce reputation to make well-organized essay.

Personally, I think the improvement between Alchemist and Julius Caesar essay was finding evidence for each topic. For Alchemist essay, my supporting sentence was not strong enough to notify my thoughts about Santiago’s journey. In addition, my texts were undeveloped and have a weak grip on the main idea. Therefore, readers might get confuse or did not understand the message that I want to sent through this essay. However, in Julius Caesar essay, I showed deeper understanding by focus on topic topic and write the in broad terms. Also, I wrote well-developed content with significant quotes to support claims.

Throughout crafting these two essays, I access SRL ‘Communicate Effectively’ in order to communicate my thought clearly with audiences. To achieve this goal, I tried to give significant and well-supported details to prove my ideas and topics. I hope I improve my writing skill to communicate effectively with readers and write better essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment