Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lost Boys Collage - Lost boys, lost hope. Who's fault?



Recently, in humanities, we learnt about the conflicts and the “lost boys of Sudan”. Lost boys were children who lost their parent due to a war in Sudan and sent to refugee camp. In order to understand more about lost boys and create empathy to audience, we made a collage based on this topic.

Lost boys, lost hope. Who’s fault? This 6 word memoir is telling the hard conditions of Sudan remind and make people think again about the reason why young Sudanese children have to suffer. As I make this memoir, I want people to imagine how tragic Sudan is and realize who causes to make this happen.

I place the word ‘Lost Boys’ on the top right hand corner where the picture of children in Sudan had. These images give basic thoughts or information about who are lost boys and helps to understand about the pathetic situation of Sudan. Right next to word ‘Lost Hope’, in order to show their hopeless feeling, I used lots of despair photos or pessimistic faced children. This creates sympathy for the lost boys and remind again about the pain that they have to suffer because of the war. I used hopeful voice text to tell even though they had disaster in their country, they still have hope and overcome the problem that they have.

I make my collage as a shape of Africa and in side the Africa, I put the shape of Sudan. I made Sudan with black color, with a hard texture to give a feeling that Sudan is suffering, hopeless, despair and destroyed. On the top left hand corner, there is a picture of girls, which breaks in to apart. As you know, Sudan had a civil war for 21years and the conditions of Sudan are very

pathetic. Thus children are suffering with disasters in Sudan. I tear up the picture of young girls, in order to express hopeless feeling of Sudanese children. Another picture that I choose was a famine babies. Sudan doesn’t have enough supply for food or water to feed all the people which lead people to die from hunger. Therefore, a lot of babies are dying due to the unbalanced nutrition. This picture demonstrate dreadful situation which create empathy for Sudan.

The general message that I want to send through the collage is the destruction of Sudan. Many people don’t know about Sudan or didn’t realize how terrible they are. Therefore, as I made this collage, I want to move people’s mind and make feel empathy about them which could make people to help or support the lost boys.




[ Crossing the River Gillo painted by Mac Anyat ]

Think Creatively!
I used variety type of technique to make my collage more creative and interesting. To show how tragic is Sudan, I used dark color and thic
k texture to express the depression. In addition, I tear the pictures or make it as puzzle, in order to show that destroyed continent and they are hopeless. Also, I choose a lot of lost boys of famine or a abandon child to create empathy from the audience.

Reason Critically!
I didn’t use lots of text in my collage however; I used hopeful voice text such as love or hope. This shows the strong characteristic of lost boys because even though they suffer from the war and hunger, they still have a hope to live in better life. This also demonstrates that they are cheerful and hopeful.

Communicate Effectively!
By using people who are suffering from hunger and young refugees, I create awareness of the situation of Sudan. This helps people to remind about how danger and tragic is Sudan.

Live Ethically!
The pictures and my 6word memoir demonstrated empathy for lost boys. I think my collage make people to realize the seriousness of Sudan’s problem. I hope this moves peoples’ mind to research more about Sudan to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment